ThorPlas-Blue Deck Machinery
Ensuring reliable operation of all equipment installed above the waterline is a tough issue for any ship’s crew. Deck machinery and steering gear bearings require frequent maintenance and grease lubrication. If routine maintenance is delayed or greasing is overlooked, it has a high cost consequence for the ship owner—seized bearings can cause expensive rope replacement, safety issues as a result of manual greasing, and vibration causing damage to the piston and cylinders.
ThorPlas-Blue is a maintenance-free solution, eliminating a source of pollution. The proprietary engineered thermoplastic bearing is capable of pressures up to 45MPa (6,527 psi); higher pressures may be possible with Thordon Engineering review. ThorPlas-Blue can easily be back fit into virtually all applications where greased bronze is currently installed. A stainless steel or non-corrosive mating surface should be used.
Typical ThorPlas-Blue Deck Equipment Maintenance Free Applications
- Lifeboat davits and sheave bearings
- Tiller arm and jockey bar bearings
- Hydraulic steering gear self-aligning bearings
- Pivot point bushings on embarkation and loading platforms
- Cranes, hoists, and deck loading equipment
- Watertight doors and hatches